Updated 10 Sep 2013
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Here's a place to put info that looks useful but I don't know where else
to put it.
Files are in no particular order, I can't think of one!
- Ann Johnson 1717-? - A 13 year old wandering waif born in Wirksworth
- Matthew Blackham 1796-1854 - Transported for 7 years to Tasmania
- Derbyshire Regiment 1813 - List of Volunteers
- Credit Crunch 1758 - Rates for conveying Vagrants
- KNIVETON variants - 93 different spellings of the surname.
- Knobstick wedding 1829 - An illegal celebration of matrimony at Wirksworth.
- FLOWERs in Wirksworth - An email about Dennis Moore's FLOWER family in Wirksworth.
- Macbeth at the Grammar 1954 - Cast list of the Shakespeare play at Wirksworth.
- Josiah SLACK convict - Details of Josiah who got 7 years for sheep stealing.
- Cashbook 1861 - Used by a student as a course book?
- Mineral accounts - Transcriptions of letters from 1827 and 1829 by Richard Hurt
- John Smedley's autobiography - a remarkable entrepreneur's story.
- Cromford & High Peak Railway - Background and photos of this 1830 cable-hauled line
- Hopton-wood stone quarries - Background and photos of fine limestone quarrying.
- Wirksworth China factory - History and examples of a short-lived industry.
- DAKIN Bible - Tracing ancestry from words written in the flyleaf.
- Paul Jones can produce excellent Tithe maps, have a look at his website.
- Petrification - An article and photos about a Matlock Bath speciality
- CHANDOS-POLE-GELL - Photos, pedigree and some details of the Hopton family.
- George O'Shaughnessy - An autobiography from Cromford 1926-47
- Locating Property from Census and before - a useful email by Mike Spencer
- One-Place-Studies - that research ALL surnames and history from a limited area.
- Snippets - interesting bits of info sent me or found.
- Relatedness - a diagram to explain the terminology.
- PRO documents - that contain the word "Wirksworth".
- Pronunciation - of Placenames near Wirksworth.
- PRO lettercodes - used in Public Records Office documents.
- Special HTML codes - examples are:
¢ £ ¥ ° ± ¼ ½ ¾ × ÷
- HTML Colours - 100 colours useful for designing websites
- Chapman 3-letter county codes - and 2-letter country codes.
- Wages & Earnings 1264-1980 - how the value of money has changed.
- Weather 1600-1900 - extreme heat, cold, rain, drought, snow, wind over the years.
- IGI Catalogue - Searched on place-name "Wirksworth"
- New Banner - used to advertise this website.
- New Website - how this website was improved Xmas 2000.
- Life in the 1500s - Amusing with perhaps a grain of truth.
- Master's names from Telford 1809 - Seaman's names from near Stranraer
- John de Kraino Kramsky 1611 - The Mystery of where he came from: "Julhuama, Susiana, Cusestan"?
- DNA Testing - Project to determine Celt/Saxon ratio in 500AD Derbyshire, you can take part.
- The Great Matlock Will Case - An intruiging local Legal drama.
- Palmerization - How to put a lot of data on line, but keep short download times.
- The origin of GREATOREX - A photo leads to the origin of a famous Derbyshire surname.
- Copyright - Links and emails about a very difficult but important subject
- School logbooks - for Wirksworth Area, with links to Census
- The Matlock Train 1851 - Items delivered on the train (and collected).
- Wirksworth Horticultural Show 1834 - with winners linked to 1841 Census.
- A visit to the DRO - how to get there, what to do. By Mike Spencer.
- GAYLER birth cups - finally traced their origin after 100 years.
- Photographers operating in the Wirksworth Area - from Derbyshire Photographers by Brett Payne
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2004,
John Palmer .
All Rights Reserved.