Updated 16 Oct 2005
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Published 1868 in Smedley's "Practical Hydropathy".
Dated 1875, from a sketch of plans of Smedley's Hydro.
Smedley's Hydro, Matlock
From "Practical Hydropathy", by John Smedley, published 1868
In the 1875 sketch, the size of the original Rockside buildings
seem to have been reduced, perhaps for political reasons.
In the plans below, some neighbours can be traced in the Census:
Jacob Gregory and
Broome Head Lane has been renamed Smedley Street, a worthy honour.
The chapel has been replaced by the Winter Gardens.
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on:
1875 plans for Smedley's Hydro.
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2003,
All Rights Reserved.