Updated 9 Dec 2007
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Return to Front Page
In 1911, a glossy, Midland Rail express thunders through.
From Matlock Mercury 29 Nov 2007
In 1849 the Manchester, Matlock, Buxton and Midlands Junction Railway opened a line to Rowsley passing through Cromford. The station-master's house and the up line waiting room were built in c.1855 and 1860 in coursed gritstone with slate roofs. The design by G H Stokes bears witness to his work in France with his father-in-law Joseph Paxton in the 1850s. The station buildings on the down line were built in 1874. The Butterley Company erected the ornate footbridge in 1885.
Cromford station was elaborate as it served many country estates belonging to the gentry. The station building on the right, built around 1850, has a steep roof and a pointed turret, built in French style
(See report 2007 about station revamp)
Midland Rail Manchester to London Express passing Cromford Station
Engine number 1021 (41021 after nationalisation). The shed code looks like 2A (Rugby). The photo was taken on 15 June 1911 by the official Midland railway photographer (according to the Derby Register number DY9562). Text on the rear of the postcard reads:
"An LMS Manchester to London Express, passing through Cromford, in the heart of the beautiful Peak District of Derbyshire. These trains provide an excellent service between London and Manchester; from Euston via Rugby and Crewe the journey of 183.5 miles is covered in 3 hours 50 minutes, and from St Pancras via Leicestershire and Derby, the distance in this case being 190 miles, is covered in 4 hours."
Details of the engine:
4-4-0 (3-Cyl Compound) 4P Introduced 1905. Development by Deeley of Johnson Midland compound, later superheated by Fowler.
Thanks to Maurice Guise for the "2005" photo. No express and only one track, sort of sad.
Taken 1911 Apr 24, loco number 723. Up express at Cromford.
Taken May 1974. Cromford upside station buildings.
Taken 24 May 1952. 45279, LMS "Black 5" 5MT, 4-6-0, Introduced 1947, Stannier design, Stephenson link, Timken bearings. The station-master's house is behind the up-line waiting room. Copyright: C M & J M Bentley, Tel:(01298) 25151
Taken 1953. Loco number 45554, 4-6-0 Jubilee class "Ontario", introduced 1934, Stannier design, 6P. Behind loco is Station-master's house and garden.
Taken 1953. A train has just left, into the tunnel.
Dates: Photo taken: Size: Source: Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only) Have any more information about this photo? Please e-mail the author on:
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded, and copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved.