Posted 1905. Undivided back card (pre-1902). A fine carriage
passes 6 boys, lined up by the photographer (for ½d each?)
Holy Trinity, Matlock Bath
Holy Trinity, the Parish Church of Matlock Bath, was built in 1842
to deal with the increasing population caused by tourism. Matlock Bath
became a parish separate from Matlock (St Giles) in 1843. Derbyshire
Records Office holds records of Baptisms at Holy Trinity from 1842,
Marriages and Banns from 1844 and Burials from 1845. The Church stands
by the main road (now the A6) at the South end of South Parade,
near the New Bath Hotel. Holy Trinity is unusual in being aligned
North-South instead of the usual East-West, and the Altar points
to the South. This was a necessity of the narrowness of the valley and
the late building of the Church, the only site still available for
a building of this size being a small shelf of Tufa (hard limestone). The
church has a very tall spire. George Saxton
who was proprietor of the Old Bath Hotel, and
Edward Beaumont played important parts in establishing a need for
the church and raising money towards the building.
Posted 1905. Beyond the church can be seen the roof of the Royal Hotel.
Below the Church can be seen the top of the Switchback turn-round.
The Switchback itself can just be seen in the trees at lower right.
Picture taken from the left bank of the Derwent ("Lover's Walk")
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on: