Updated 10 Jan 2006

WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900

Return to Front Page



Photo 425



Staffordshire Row, Cromford

Staffordshire Row is a group of 8 three-storey gritstone houses on Water Lane (numbers 30-46, listed Grade II) in Cromford (see lower centre of the photo). It is thought they were built about 1720 to house workers from Staffordshire to work in a mill smelting Zinc Oxides, by a firm from Cheadle. The smelter was replaced about 1780 with a corn mill, built by Richard Arkwright to supply Cromford. The corn mill was driven by two waterwheels, remains of which can still be seen. The houses can be seen in the Census in 1901 and 1871. At other times the houses are listed under Scarthin.

Photo taken:c1900

Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo? 
Please e-mail the author on:

Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded, and copyright © 2006, All Rights Reserved.