Dated May 1870. Too many dormer-windows?
Taken c1888. See also Views by Barber
Drawing room, Tilley's Hydro. (Permission Alan Ankers).
Matlock House Hydro. (Permission Alan Ankers).
Matlock House Hydro
Matlock House Hydro, on the East side of Rutland Street (at the top of
Bank Road), was opened in 1863 by Mr Lee of Manchester.
Originally known as Tilley's Hydro, it changed to Matlock House Hydro
at some time.
The Census entries for Matlock House can be viewed at:
An advert dated 1888 reads:
Matlock House Hydropathic Establishment & Residence
for visitors. Musical and dramatic entertainments,
smoking rooms, lawn tennis, billiards, 2 acres of
gardens, Table d'Hote at 6pm. Terms from 35s to
£2:5s inclusive. Physician. Please address in
full, Mr JAMES, Matlock House, Matlock Bridge.
Tennis Court, Tilley's Hydro. (Permission Alan Ankers).
Tilley's Hydro, Matlock House. (Permission Alan Ankers).
Photo taken:before 1907
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on: