Updated 15 Mar 2008
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Unposted, perhaps pre-1910.
In 1772 the first water-powered cotton mill in the world was opened
by Sir Richard Arkwright in Mill Lane, Cromford. The original mill
and the cast-iron aqueduct that kept it fed with water, still exists
and is open to the public. In 1783 Arkwright opened a second mill
The building in the centre of the picture is the Grehound Hotel,
built in 1778 to provide accomodation for visitors to the mill. Arkwright
also built cottages for the mill workers, a school, a church and a big
house for himself called Rock House.
Census entries for the Greyhound Hotel, Market Place can be seen on
the following links:
Posted 1910. Market Place, Cromford, Greyhound Hotel on left, note gaslamp.
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on:
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2006,
All Rights Reserved.