Updated 29 Nov 2008
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Return to Front Page
Tudor House stands opposite the school on Town Street, and is probably Brassington's oldest house. It is now a Grade II listed building.
The house was built in 1615 by Thomas Westerne and was called New Hall. The date stone at the front of the house shows Thomas and his wife's initial letters.
Later it became the "Red Lion" public house, well situated on the main London to Manchester turnpike road.
In 1820 it was bought by the Parish and used as a workhouse until 1848. It housed paupers for the Ashbourne Poor Law Union, 77 inmates being recorded at one time. The men were provided with the work of breaking stone into specific sizes at the rear of the house.
About 1900 the house became known as "Tudor House" and is now divided into two private houses.
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded, and copyright © 2007, All Rights Reserved.